Sunday, February 26, 2012

+ Walkin' on Sunshine +

Today is being pretty fantastic at giving me "Warm and Fuzzy" feelings, which I am totally loving. It's been a fantastic ending/beginning of the week since Friday.
Friday classes went amazing. All the students seemed to be engaged in what I was teaching, everyone was super productive, and so amazing. It was probably one of the most rewarding days I'd had so far. I've been walking on sunshine since Friday - cheesy sounding, I know.

So today I was at the store with The dad and The mom. The dad and I lost The mom and so after I was tired of waiting I made it a mission to find her. I circled the darn store like five times and ended up running into the family I used to babysit for -oh my goodness, they are so grown-up!- and so we chatted for like fifteen minutes. Finally I took my leave and found The mom. She ended up not getting paper towels. So I had to go to the very back of the store for like the 6th time. So I gave in to my impulse buys of Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service - except in my annoyance of having walked the store too many times I grabbed My Neighbor Totoro, which I didn't want.

I had to return the Totoro movie and get the correct one so while I was trying to make my exchange one of my students said hi to me and it was super sweet. I feel special. Because they totally don't have to say hello to you if they see you, often students probably ignore seeing their teachers. I probably did often - unless it was one I liked.

And I talk to Cerimon quite frequently now it seems like he, Bianca, Clara, and Casanova are the only people that talk to me all that often these days. Which is fine, they've stuck by me for nine years. I'm more than blessed to have them still in my life.

Don't get me wrong I talk to plenty of people but those are the ones I talk to multiple times every week that are caught up on stuff with me. Anyway so Cerimon and I were talking about the generation of "lost boys" that have cropped up within our generation. By "lost boys" I don't mean just boys, but that's the best description I can give. Think Peter Pan here, a whole generation of people that have no idea what they want to do with their lives; a whole generation of people that don't want to grow up. They have been given a disservice. Maybe they never were told they could do or be anything they wanted. Maybe they just never thought about it. But a lot of people in college still have no idea what they want to do after school.

I was lucky. I've grown up knowing exactly what I want to do. I've always wanted to be a teacher and a writer. I've probably wanted to pursue writing longer than teaching, but the amazing thing is I can do both. I never questioned what I would be going to college for. I knew since forever I was going to be an English Major.

So, Cerimon and I were talking about our goals and how a lot of people are lost these days. And then he told me I was intelligent and motivated and I'd be a fantastic writer. And sometimes it is just so lovely to hear someone (who's not your family) tell you they believe in you. So, dear readers, believe me when I say that I believe in you.

I honestly do believe in the good of people. I believe that anyone can do whatever it is they want to do if they work at it and are dedicated. I truly believe my friends, family, and students can achieve anything they want. And I hope everyone knows I'm more than willing to help them all in whatever way I can. I want my students, family, and friends to succeed. Most say I'm young and therefore idealistic, but I'd rather believe in the potential of everyone than break them down. I think that anything is possible with hard work and dedication... Though, that's probably just the American in me that wants to believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment