Saturday, February 26, 2011

+ Literature Love +

I don't know what it is but there is something about literature that gets me so jazzed. Okay, okay, you're thinking, 'Well, it's probably because you're an English Major, Genius'. Well, yeah, I am. But I think it goes beyond that. Even before I knew I wanted to major in English I adored books. I wasn't overly introverted and a book worm by any means. But I'd pick up books out of interest and in high school I was forever spending my money on books, occasionally dvds, and every once in a blue moon a cd. But the books won my money more often.

I don't know what the first book it was I bought myself. The oldest one I recall off the top of my head was when I was twelve and I was in Texas. It was the second manga of the Sailor Moon series. They didn't have the first one, but I recalled that I watched the show when I was younger and I enjoyed it enough. Now, before you think me a manga and anime-tard... I'm not. I have a few series and for the age I was they were perfect and I love the artistic aspect of them and I do value them as a piece of literature and art, but once I caught wind of the newer stuff and as I grew older I lost interest. I still sometimes visit the old friends I made in the series that I own. And there's a couple I need to complete the Series of. Princess Ai, for one. And Card Captor Sakura and Cowboy Bebop. That gives a small taste of the style I enjoyed.

I'm sure Sailor Moon 2 was not the first book I ever bought myself, but that's the earliest I can recall. Which is a shame. I remember the first cd I bought myself was Pink's Misunderstood cd. I believe the first dvd I ever bought myself might have been Bedazzled. But the first book? Not even the foggiest. It became an addiction, on par only with my dvd collection.

There's something perfect about the moments spent when you come across a book that changes you into a different person. The moments I spent reading Shakespeare where I could see myself in the forest with the witches of Macbeth, the trials of figuring out his name was Rumplestiltskin, the realization that Armand was the one who really kills Jesse, that big brother might actually be watching us right now, etc. Those moments, those novels that touch your life and make you a better person. And the realization that not all literature is perfect or life-altering. Sometimes you hate a novel, and that's okay. You don't have to love them all, you don't have to love all authors.

I don't know what got me to be into literature in the way that I am. I don't think it was because I was read to a lot. I mean, don't get me wrong. The Mom read to me sometimes. I have memories of her reading to me. I remember crying as she read the end of Where the Red Fern Grows to me. I remember that one night in Plumas Pines when I was sick and her, Ajax, and myself were curled up on her bed and upon her chest rested Rapunzel - a beautiful and colored version of the book. And that moment was lovely even though I was sick. But I'm not sure if that's what it is about literature that gets to me.

I think that is so perfect about literature is because people live on forever within their works. They're the words and language of people before us. It shows us that people are imperfect, lovely, and ever changing, yet we're all a part of one big picture. It is a way that connects us all and makes us be better people. They're beloved and wonderful. They're debated, discussed, and celebrated throughout all age groups and that's fantastic. There are millions and they are different, they live throughout the centuries in ways humans cannot.

I don't know. I might have a problem. I just bought six books for funsies. The Jungle Books, Peter Pan, Oliver Twist, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Hans Christian Anderson's Fairy Tales, and Flowers for Algernon. To go with my fairly recent obsession with the Classics, and when I say recent I mean about three years so far. I want to bring back a love of the classics with the newer generations, I want children and teens to love literature the way I do, and I think this might be the biggest reason I want to become a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment