Tuesday, June 28, 2011

+ Travelling Will Be the Death of Me +

Man, I really need to not be so materialistic. Or something.

I'm attempting to pack for Texas. I leave Wednesday early morning. And I'm challenging myself to not check any baggage and just carry it all with me. Because let's face it, it's a hassle. What people also might not realize... it's a bigger hassle to figure out what's permitted on planes these days. I've spent a number of days trying to guess if something is or is not allowed to be in my mini-suitcase, and half of the things are still questionable.

Have you ever looked at the TSA website? It is definitely very non-specific of what's allowed on planes. I have no idea if my venus razor qualifies as safe to be in my carry-on bags. I don't even know if my glass nail file is allowed (despite its dull qualities)! And I have multiple mini-bottles of crap I didn't need just so I will (possibly) be able to make it through security. Not to mention I get to have my personal bubble space popped as some creepy male checks to make sure I don't have any metal on my person, because let's face it... I look like a questionable person. Don't get me wrong I typically would have a knife and pepper spray on me, that being said I'm not stupid enough to bring it on a plane.

I just remember a time when the throught of getting on a plane didn't force me into a spiral of questions and a mode of panic attack. I don't like to question if I'm allowed to bring something on the plane especially when it's as innocent as my nail file, polish, polish remover, and other things that simply go with my own personal hygene. I don't like that I have to fret over how many ounces a bottle of moisturizer and cleanser is. Did I mention my Mary Kay Cleanser will not pass security so I had to buy an empty bottle at the store in order to smuggle my cleanser in my bags?

Also, did I mention I am always getting picked to be strip-searched as are my bags. For some reason the way I pack makes innocent items look sketchy. Okay, so to be fair.... Ir could be the fact that I am very "plugged-in" as Obi Wan Kenobi put it. I have lots of electronics all of which have their own chargers and cords. To get an idea:

My laptop and charger.
Kindle and charger.
Phone and charger.
Zune and charger.
Hair Straightener.

Five cords. I can't help it, I like my electronics. That being said, it's innocent enough! The people at security once searched my entire bag looking for 'something that looked suspicious' they pulled out my watch and looked at each other puzzled. "What's wrong with my watch?" "Um, nothing... it looked like something else." What could my watch have looked like? I really want to know. And that was before liquid was a concern on planes. Heaven forbid I have 3.5 ounces of water on a plane! We're talking like seven or eight years ago. I can hardly wait for this trip.

I'm already wanting to come home. I haven't even left yet.

I just hope it ends up being a good thing. But there's so much I have to do. UGH.

I have to do Spanish 201. I have to box up stuff for a yard sale. I have to box stuff up I don't want tossed. I have to work for the rest of Summer and save up money. Only to have to go back to classes for a stressful semester that may end up being my last. I really need to learn to stop looking so much to the future and things out of my control. I think I managed to just stress myself out more and not help my psyche. Figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment