Tuesday, June 14, 2011

+ New Sarah Dessen Book +

As I mentioned in my last post, I got the new Sarah Dessen Book What Happened to Goodbye. Yeah, I may or may not have already finished reading it... in like less than a day.

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of it, other than it's an easy and fast read. Enjoyable in a similar way to all of her books, relatable teenage characters. I don't know it might be the fact I'm getting older and there's only so much love I can have for young adult fiction these days. I hit the same road blocks that I hit often in my Literature for Adolescents class. That being said, for a young adult novel and fan of Sarah Dessen it was sweet, funny, and easy to understand the character and choices by Mclean. It ended in a slightly predictable manor and in the way someone invested in the characters and story would hope and want it to end. I was happy with the ending. But then Dessen has a way with her characters it's easy to end up loving them. It's easy to get caught up in their stories and want a happy ending for them. And true to her record she chooses a topic that isn't always easy to deal with and sheds light on it. In thise case it's Mclean's mother leaving her father for another man and dealing with a divorce and broken relationship with her mother.

It's a book I'd suggest for old Sarah Dessen fans for the sake of having read all her novels. It's not my favorite of her books though. I personally like What Happened to Goodbye more than Lock and Key and Along for the Ride. It seemed to remind me why I used to love the Sarah Dessen books. Though for someone who hasn't come across her novels yet I'd still suggest Dreamland, This Lullabye, The Truth About Forever, or Just Listen for introductory novels to her works. They just tend to stick with me more, though it's all subjective anyway.

Dreamland is what got me hooked on Sarah Dessen novels when I was thirteen or so, due to the suggestion I read it by Clara.

Yeah, so I'd suggest it to Sarah Dessen fans looking for an easy and quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment