Monday, February 14, 2011

+ The Light is Beginning to Shift into View +

I might really be able to do it. In just one more semester I might really be student teaching. It's weird - I kind of never thought time would pass. Never thought there'd be a light at the end of the tunnel. And now it's beginning to be visible. It's so close I can almost see it.

The thought is both exciting and terrifying. I've been working towards this goal for years. I've known I've wanted to be a teacher since I was in 7th or 8th grade. I was one of those kids that worked towards a known goal.

So many of my friends came to college not knowing what they wanted to do. Sure, some did know, but they ended up deciding it wasn't for them. It's commendable, really. Discovering you're not on the path that will make you happy and changing it. It's a great thing, really. I just never had any doubts.

I was set in my ways and my mind was made up. I've always been the kind of person to know what I want to do and just do it. I've always done what I wanted and figured things out for myself. I rarely look to others to tell me what to do, but stumble around and figure it out myself. This was one thing that I never had to stumble around with.

My entire college career I've figured out classes to take, set up my schedule, and figured out a way to make things work. Sure sometimes I came back to my apartment and cried from frustration from a class that I thought I could never in a million years pass. I either passed it while working hard - or found a way around it. I kept a steady job from the beginning and still work there. I've been reliable and worked hard to ensure that I was needed. I've had tough times, happy times, and times I honestly thought I'd tear my hair out.

And now I can see the beginnings of a faded light headed in my direction. I just hope it isn't a train waiting to bring me to my demise.

But on the serious side. I am ridiculously excited. Few things have made me happier or more terrified than standing in front of a class and teaching a lesson. Among my peers some of the teaching experiences have been embarassing - like when I fell and landed on my face in front of the entire class. Among my practicum experience probably one of the best experiences - the kids were engaged and seemed to enjoy the activity. It was one of my more happier moments. There's something infinitely serene and lovely about being in a classroom where you get to do the teaching, sharing of experiences, and trying to jazz someone else up about the things you love. It's touching and wonderful and I am so excited.

My time for college is coming to a close.

One semester left. One.

I just have to finish my application for student teaching.
Study up for my Praxis.
Take my Praxis.
Take 2 Summer classes.
Finish up about 7 or 8 classes.
Get rockin' scores.
And then I student teach.

Granted the list above is a much simplified version of what's to come. I will be too busy to consider working. I'll be living a quiet existence with textbooks, anthologies, and being a hermit with my books to finish my classes. But it'll be worth it once I'm finished with my college classes and can begin my hard work of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment