Thursday, January 6, 2011

+ Timeless Thursdays: The Road Not Taken +

It's that time again... Time to post another poem in which I adore to have a showcase of random poems for people to find in a compiled list. So that when people are in a hankering for some poetry, but don't know what they want to read or recite - here be a list that shall make it easier.

I'm choosing this poem this week because it is Robert Frost and this poem in particular which brought about my immense love of poetry. It's Robert Frost who made me care about poems and love nature the way that I do. And he will forever be my favorite poet. I'll never forget when I got to go into his house (which is in the Ford Museum in Michigan!). I had never been so excited and it was what made my entire day worth it. Even after breathing in the coal and having a sore throat all day - it was made clearly worth it by getting to see his house and my love for him grew stronger. And now...

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
and looked down one as far as I could
to where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
and having perhaps the better claim
because it was grassy and wanted wear;
though as for that, the passing there
had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
in leaves no feet had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment