Thursday, May 20, 2010

+ Who's to Say Someone is Illegal? +

Because my Latin Literature course is about Mexico, Mexican history, writings, etc. Of course we got on to topics from the news and whatnot. The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico was brought up as well as past Earthquakes (1985) and such so of course I shouldn't have been surprised when last minute the Arizona situation was brought up.

Basically saying that people need to have proof of residency/nationalization on them because a cop can legally stop anyone and ask for that now. Does it specifically say Mexicans? No. However, it's to prevent the illegal aliens from keeping up residency here. I can understand if only Mexicans are getting stopped being unfair because yes it is racial profiling. And that's not right.

That being said, I also understand that Mexico has a bad environment and the government of Mexico can be corrupt. But that doesn't mean you can just escape illegally into another country and decide to hide out here. Why not stand up and fight? Make a revolution if you're not happy. They want to celebrate the bicenntinial of the 1910 revolution this year. The government is not happy with that and has ignored its people's pleas to investigate the murders of students that have been happening recently.

Again, I understand all this and I do sympathasize. However, if I were in Arizona and I got stopped and asked to prove I was a citizen you know what I would do? I would show them my proof. I have multiple proofs of my being a US citizen on me at all times. Because that's common sense to have proof, you don't know where you'll end up or what will be happening in life. It's good to have identification, etc. I would not get offended and start screaming about my rights. Because I can prove I'm a legitimate US citizen. Sure, it'd be inconvenient, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I don't see why you'd start such a fuss if you were a legal citizen.

The reason I'm bringing any of this up is because my professor asked a rather obnoxious seemingly obvious question, but I decided not to answer it because everyone would assume I'm on Arizona's side. Which, I'm not necessarily, I think they could have come up with a better plan, but it does make sense to not allow illegals to live here. They can come back, legally. The question he posed was, "Who can say if someone is here illegally?"

Who. Can. Say. If. Someone. Is. Here. Illegally. What? Are you kidding me? The government can. If you do not follow the laws of the government and just decide to live here, you are illegal. The problem with living here illegally is the fact you don't pay taxes like everyone else has to, you and whoever is with you can get the benefits of being a citizen without any of the drawbacks the legal citizens have to deal with. That's not right. I'd think you'd want to become a legal citizen and get rid of the illegals so you can get fair wages and not be reduced to being paid nothing for a lot of work. Wouldn't that make sense? If you want to live here like everyone else, you should pay taxes like everyone else, you should become a citizen, you should be part of the community if you're here. That's the point.

I just can't believe that question was posed. If you can't prove you're a US citizen and you don't pay taxes you're an illegal. That's common sense. And I don't think we should allow them to stay here. We can either put them back in Mexico (which is a dumb idea, they already know how to get here) or if they plan to continue working in the US make them become legal citizens and pay taxes. Shut the businesses down that keep hiring the illegals, and make the illegals legal. Best of both, give the illegals citizenship and get taxes from them to help with the nation they are freeloading off of, and stop illegals from getting work (until they are legal) by having huge consequences for hiring illegals.

No comments:

Post a Comment