Sunday, February 8, 2009

+ Honor vs. Love +

I've just finished Ibsen's A Doll House for one of my classes and there's this one section of Act III that is pretty insightful, even now over a hundred years later. I suppose I should give a quick background of A Doll House before I start, it's about Torvald Helmer and his wife, Nora Helmer. In order to save Torvald's life, Nora forges her father's signature on a loan note, back in the 1800s women could not open loans on their own. They needed a man to be on in case she couldn't make the payments. The dilemma comes into play when Krogstad threatens to out Nora to Torvald and she feels her entire life is crumbling beneathe her feet.

The lines that are inspiration for this;
Helmer: I'd gladly work for you day and night, Nora -- and take on pain and deprivation. But there's no one who gives up honor for love.
Nora: Millions of women would have done just that.

Definitions according to Dictionary.com;
Honor:
A source of credit or distinction.
High respect, as for worth, merit, or rank.


Love:
A profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
A feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection.


I can honestly say I agree with Nora in that statement (One of the few times I agree with Nora and actually like her throughout the play). Women would gladly give up their rank in society for love, without a second thought and in a heartbeat. I know I would gladly, willingly, and without a moment's hesitation. If I had to give up the high respect in which people would talk about me, I would. I'd much rather have someone who sincerely loves me, who I love just as much in return than something silly like honor. I'd defend my love's honor to the death, but mine I could care less about. Say what you want about me...but about my loved one? Beware those consequences.

The sad thing is, this view is less and less common in this day and age. I know males and females alike who care too much for themselves to ever truly sacrifice anything for anyone. Regardless of the kind of love is shared, sure anyone can say they'll do this, but in all reality so few people would follow through on it. All because they're too worried about the way they look amongst the world, their only concern is for themselves. They lie and deceive, denying they'd ever choose honor before love, but when it really boils down to it... It's not love they choose.

In a way, I've already thrown my 'honor' aside amongst my friends for... I'm not sure I can say love. It's too early on for that, but for one I'm quite fond of. They've decided he's not good enough, they tell me I'm too good for him. They don't even know him, I however, do. He's worth it for me, in my eyes he's more than good enough. Which is never enough for the self-righteous like those claiming to be my friends.

I'm just curious, which one would you choose, honor or love? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment