Monday, October 31, 2011

+ Imp of the Perverse +

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K3LD5PF - A survey I put together for primary research for my paper on Perversity and whether it still exists. I beg of you, please take it. The more diversity I get taking the survey the more authentic.

The perverse is not to be mistaken for the contemporary definition. Here I am referring to the desire to implement an action that you know to be wrong. Also commonly referred to as 'the death wish', the urge in your head that tells you to jump when looking down from the top of a cliff, bridge, etc.

I'm trying to discover if the imp is still apparent in contemporary times. I'm convinced the imp is alive and well. I'm trying to talk about the idea of it being the motivation for doing things at times. Though, it might not be something that is concrete enough to prove or disprove. I just have the imp on my mind a lot lately - that's what you get for taking a literature course on perversity in the American novel. There remains a slight debate on whether or not the imp is a physical real entity (a demon), or if it's merely a psychological aspect that resides within us all. Something that is inherent withus into our very structure of humanity.

I'm not sure how this paper is going to go or if I'll even be able to prove anything about it, but oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment