Monday, November 15, 2010

+ Phishy Plans +

Yay... crappy alliterated blog title?

Yeah, I don't know.

So, we went to Wal-Mart and I decided to check out the fish tanks (and fishies!) because the Dad was talking about getting a smaller fish tank to bring home Sheldon and Leonard for Thanksgiving and Christmas Break because I obviously can't leave them behind. They'd starve and I would be eternally saddened!

While there I found a nice little 5 gallon fishtank that would serve well for staying with the 'Rents because it really is not fun to haul a big 10 gallon fishtank here, there, and everywhere. Besides... it's much harder than it looks to move them. I just attempted to move my oak stand it sits on to unplug the filter so I could clean it and change the filter, I thought I was going to cough up a lung. I also discovered Iridescent Sharks, which is a fancy name for a type of catfish that I had thought was adorable.

I was good and bought neither the fishtank nor the iridescent shark. I left to go do some research. Where upon I discovered with dismay that iridescent sharks happen to be omnivorious and will grow to be 12"... It does not eat fish unless it is big enough to swallow them. The problem is Sheldon and Leonard could be gobbled up if it were to grow big enough. That's not what I'm wanting for my poor fishies. So no iridescent sharkies for me - my love for Sheldon and Leonard outweigh my yearning for a fake shark.

Then I got excited because it's possible to aquire aquarium Gar! Gar is a type of pike. It's cool because it has an elongated jaw that looks rather akin to a crocodile, so I decidedly named them 'crockofeesh'. The problem is Gar happen to be carnivorious fish. As in I saw a video of aquarium gar eating goldfish and I kind of whimpered at the thought of them being Sheldon or Leonard. Mostly because I've grown attached to my Sheldon and Leonard. I've had Sheldon for over a year and Leonard for just over two months.

Instead I went on a quest to discover some fishmates that will not eat them and will not potentially start fights with Sheldon or Leonard. Which leaves me with other Fantails, Calicos, Black Moors, Gupies, and your garden variety Goldfish (there are a couple others as well).

I've decidedly choosen upon finding two cute black moors, which might prove to be tedious as they are rather fugly fish. I don't know if you've seen Black Moors but they have creepy bug-eyes and swim awkward. They are big, bulky, and slow. The Mom tried to pressure me into buying one at Petco during summer and I even had it in the bag... but I couldn't do it. They creep me out. But I want to find two cute ones and name one Raj and the other one Othello. Because apparently I'm racist. Mostly I just think the irony is hilarious. I want to get a flamboyant guppy and name it Penny... or maybe get a black and white angelfish looking fish, they were quite pretty and they were freshwatered.

Anyone else have suggestions for fishie-mates for Sheldon and Leonard? By the way, Sheldon is a Fantail Calico and Leonard is a Fantail Red Ryukin (both goldfish-types).

P.S. Daddy bought Sheldon and Leonard a nice 5gal fish tank for when they are home to live in.
Also, Guppies and Angelfish are not compatible with fantails, sadface. Just gotta search for other nice fantails, black moors are still okay, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment