Monday, November 1, 2010

+ Found Poem +

The found poem from Whitman's "Song of Myself".

Once Lost, Now Found.

I have heard what the talkers were talking, the talk of the beginning and end, but I do not talk of the beginning or end (38).

I harbor for good or bad, I permit to speak at every hazard, nature without check with original energy (12). Clear and sweet is my soul and clear and sweet is all that is not my soul (53).

I am of old and young, of the foolish as much as the wise (330).

I pass death with the dying (133). Hoping to cease not til death (9). Nor look through the eyes of the dead, you shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me, you shall listen to all sides (35-37).

I have no mockings or arguments, I witness and wait (83). This mystery here we stand (52).

Not anymore youth or age than there is now, and will never be any more perfection than there is now, nor any more heaven or hell than there is now (42).

The suicide sprawls on the bloody floor of the bedroom, I witness the corpse with its dabbled hair, I note where the pistol has fallen (152). Were mankind murderous or jealous upon you, my brother, my sister? I am sorry for you--they are not murderous or jealous upon me; all has been gentle with me--I keep no account with lamentation (1141).

I accept reality and dare not question it (483). I exist as I am, that is enough (412). This hour I tell things in confidence, I might now tell everybody, but I will tell you (382). I also say it is good to fall, battles are lost in the same spirit in which they are won (364).

Here or henceforward it is all the same to me, I accept Time absolutely (480). The clock indicates the moment--but what does eternity indicate? (1134).

The bright suns I see and the dark suns I cannot see are in their place (352). Rise after rise bow the phantoms behind me; Afar down I see the huge first Nothing--I know I was even there; I waited unseen and always, and slept through the lethargic mist, And took my time (1149).

I know every one of you--I know the sea of torment, doubt, despair and unbelief (1011).
You will hardly know who I am, or what I mean; but I shall be good health to you nevertheless (1338).

Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged; Missing me one place, search another; I stop somewhere, waiting for you (1341).

My faith is the greatest of faiths and the least of faiths, enclosing worship ancient and modern and all between ancient and modern (1094).

I too am not a bit tamed--I too am untranslatable; I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world (1329).
--Based of Walt Whitman’s
“Song of Myself”

No comments:

Post a Comment