Thursday, November 11, 2010

+ Can't Have Men without Women? +

Today started out with the impression it'd be lovely. I woke up on time, which is a rarity lately for Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's a problem. However, it would not last sadly.
 
Despite the biweekly urge to skip my American Literature class, I attended like I always do. Only to receive a C+ on my Self-Made Man paper. Why? I failed to mention Native American and African American women in my paper. My citations? Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson. As in The Way of Wealth and Declaration of Independence as my sources. Why, why, why would women be prevalent in that paper? Also notice she didn't give a damn I failed to mention white/european/caucasian women...
 
It's not the grade that bothers me, that's fine. If my professor thinks I deserve a C, and adequately explains why s/he thinks so, I can live with that and I will work on doing better for the next one. That being said, give me a bogus explanation for why my grade was low I will be outraged.
 
I don't see how failure to mention women in a paper about self-made men is worth a C+. Especially when you consider I mentioned that if you were a Native American man or an African American man the guide didn't apply because during that time period it would be next to impossible to become extremely successful because of the rascism, lack of opportunity, etc. It should be noted, I mentioned that all women fall into the same category as minority men. They just couldn't become what was considered a success during that time period.
 
Ah, the absurdity of American Literature. Which is so anti-rascism it's racist against anyone who isn't Native American or African American. Joy. Though it should also be said that it's much more for Native Americans than it is African Americans. So, that's also ironic. I love all things hypocritical.

No comments:

Post a Comment