Monday, May 31, 2010

+ Memorial Day +

Memorial Day. The last Monday of May.

Previously known as Decoration Day, commemorating the US soldiers who've died in military service. Originally put into place to honor Union Soldiers after the Civil War, but after WWI was used to honor US soldiers from all wars. It was meant to decorate the graves of soldiers, and still to this day is often celebrated by going to visit loved ones' tombs to decorate their gravesite.

Just thought I'd post some information about Memorial Day because it's a holiday important to my family and me. As I've had family in all the wars thus far. Great Grandpa on my dad's side was in WWI, his son and wife were in WWII. Grandpa was in D-Day. We have a nazi helmet that he took off an enemy. Dad was in Vietnam.

While, I'm not doing much in honor of my loved ones' past, I am thinking of them. And were I anywhere near their gravesites I'd be buying large bouquets of lillies, roses, and carnations for them to spruce up their resting places.

Instead, I've finished homework, enjoying the day off of class. Watching NCIS marathon, while not necessarily patriotic, close as it's solving navy crimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment